Tuesday, February 19, 2008

food and health oxymorons and morons

So in a world obsessed with being thin and the skinnier the better --- why is there so much obesity?

So in a world where we have TV channels devoted to food preparation why do so few people know how to cook from scratch?

In a world obsessed with health why do so many people still smoke? Take drugs?

We have universal healthcare - not free healthcare as we pay though our noses in taxes - but universal as in for everyone. If you have private insurance you might get a test 6 months before others who don't but eventually everyone gets treated - if you don't die first as it is known to happen once in a while.

So here is my story for the day: I am in the hospital getting a pre-operation check-up. The cardiologist takes my blood pressure.
- "Wait here a minute" he says. "Your blood pressure is over 180"
-"That strange" I answer. “I have low blood pressure normally".
-"Well it's very high. I'll have the nurse may a few appointments for you and I won't give the go for your surgery until I have all the results" he adds. "Your blood pressure is dangerously high so we have to get your tests done and fix the problem ASAP"

So the nurse calls here and there "I have your tests scheduled for this week and next" she says. "Except the MAPA, that one you have to go to another hospital as we do not have the machine here. The appointment is for May 5th "

Now we are February 19th … To me May 5th that looks pretty far away for and "urgent" test. (whatever a MAPA is) Being who I am I tell her so.

- " I thought it was urgent. May 5th looks pretty far to me" I tell her "and I don't understand the blood pressure results. What were my results in January " I ask?

- "115 " she says

- 'what were they went you first took them this morning" I continue. "I don't remember you looking worried"

So she checks my file and surprise it was 11o. (I always forget the over what) She tells the doctor and they take my pressure again. This time with another machine....

-" 116 over something" the nurse says. "I guess we need to check the machine in the office..."

- "No wonder all my patients had high blood pressure today" the genius cardiologist answers. "I guess I will correct the patient's chart and allow the surgery..."

REALLY? YOU THINK??

And in a nutshell that's Universal Healthcare for you...

No comments: