Thursday, January 31, 2008

11:11 pm and I am making granola

11:11 pm and I am making granola and oatmeal bars.

Wonder why I have a little extra weight? LOL

My husband thinks I am the only one in the world who makes these. Don't let him on the secret and maybe someday I'll tell you how I make my cakes.

May your granddaughter be the pride of your life,

Ciao and good night,

Joanne

Homemade granola
.
I mix some of everything I find. Cook it until it's crunchy. I eat it with or without milk, over yogurt or ice cream.

Yield: a lot.

I often bake it in 2 shots. Just prepare half the liquid mixture and store 1/2 of the oat mixture away in a huge plastic container

Ingredients:
8 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (a mix and match your leftovers will work also)

1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup wheat or oat germ
1 cup shredded coconut (your choice sweetened or not)

1 cup pine nuts (or sunflower seed or esame seed or any other seed like nut you like)
2 cup nuts (sliced almonds, or pecans or walnuts or peanuts or a mixture)


3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup honey (maple syrup work well too - just boil 1 minute)
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Grease 2 large cookie sheets with vegetable spray. The ones with sides work best - Jelly roll pans???Or only one if you are not feeding a family of 18,

Mix your dry ingredients in the biggest bowl you have. Mine is about 14 inches diameter.


Mix together the oil and honey in a small saucepan until just bubbly.

Pour the liquids over the oat mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until all the oats and nuts are coated.

Bake, stirring occasionally with a spatula, until the mixture turns golden brown, 30 to 45 minutes.

Remove the granola from the oven and allow to cool,

Keep in an airtight container. They should be gone in a week.

No comments: